Quick methods to check if mangoes are not naturally harvested
How to determine if your favourite fruit is loaded with chemicals?
How to find out if mangoes are chemically ripened?
Mangoes are not only tasty, but they also have several health benefits. However, what if you were told that this fruit, loved by millions worldwide is grown artificially with the help of harmful chemicals? Production of synthetic mangoes is rampant across India owing to the high demand. Eating such mangoes is hazardous for our well-being.
Calcium carbide is the main chemical which is employed in this procedure. Bags consisting of calcium carbide are kept with mangoes. Once this substance comes into contact with moistness, it creates acetylene gas. The nature of acetylene gas is close to ethylene, an element which is naturally utilized for maturing fruits. Using calcium carbide is banned by FSSAI owing to the several health problems the chemical causes.
It is not difficult to identify if your favourite fruit is developed artificially. Here are few useful ways:
1. The first way to determine if you are consuming chemically ripened mangoes is through taste. The flavour and aroma of naturally harvested mangoes is completely different from those which are artificially cultivated. Organically produced mangoes are rich in taste and have a sweet smell. On the other hand, when you eat a synthetically grown mango, you might experience a burning feeling or stomach ache.
2. Check the look of the mangoes. If they appear yellow from all sides and have a shine, they are not produced naturally. Untreated mangoes will have different colours such as green, yellow or red.
3. Try this simple method; squeeze some juice from the mango. An organically harvested mango will have sufficient quantity of juice. Chemically developed mangoes will barely have any juice.
4. Another effective way is to send the fruits to a NABL certified lab for testing. A detailed report will be prepared by the lab after thorough analysis indicating the presence of contaminants in the mangoes if any and their quantities. They will also mention all the chemicals utilized in the ripening procedure.
5. Take some mangoes and put them in a vessel containing water. If you notice that the mangoes sink, they are organically cultivated; whereas chemically grown mangoes will float.
6. Lastly, the most important tip is to buy mangoes only during their season which begins from April. Consume mangoes in April and May which is the authentic season. If you see mangoes in the market during any other time of the year, there is a high possibility that they are artificially harvested.
If you are worried that you might be buying synthetic mangoes from the market, the solution is right here. Just place an order on Farms to your table and be rest assured that you will receive fresh, naturally grown delicious mangoes which you can eat to your heart’s content.